Monday, October 27, 2008

An afterthought....

...about the trip is to admit my surprise that with 26,000 people living on Åland and half of them in Mariahamn, there was not much solitude when were biking in the northern parishes. Houses, although well maintained and beautiful, were in view all of the time and we had to constantly be aware of traffic. I liked traveling on red roads and seeing 9 out of 10 structures being that color. The few people we encountered were not interested to even offer a smile or friendly gesture. Again, it had to be the Northern European hospitality.  We were saturated with windmills and the midsommarstången (midsummer may poles) all over Åland. There must be some pride in that. I enjoyed how every home or farm was well maintained. I think there must exist some societal acceptance in maintaining one's property. Although we planned our general bike route, the bike signage and posted distances were also welcomed. 

Although I learned afterwards that Åland doesn't have the same "allemansrätt" (right to land use) policy as its Nordic neighbors, we didn't find ourselves displaced or uncertain of camping options along the route. Our own safety was also never a concern. Although the mainland is not like the Alps or Himalaya, it certainly had some rolling hills in the Saltvik parish. It added an extra workout for us. For some reason many of the so-called historical sites we saw on Åland were missing more concrete dates of origin. I am not sure if it is because the land had been in ownership of numerous countries (Sweden, Denmark, Russia and now for the past 102 years, Finland) over the centuries or if the historical recordings were destroyed at some time. 

Would I return? Of course, but I would skip over the mainland and head directly to some of the 6500 islands. Given that all local buses and ferry travel between islands (and even to Åbo/Turku, Finland) are free for bikes/pedestrians, how can I not want to return? I looked at some pictures afterwards how island hopping could be done and it looked inviting...in warmer months, of course. 

I am happy that Serge and I decided to venture, literally, down the paths of Åland. Despite the weather predictions and the reality of that, we had a good trip. We came home with perhaps, no less, but no more stuff than we had started. I tend to be someone who wants to plan the details of a trip with alternate options, but given we had utmost flexibility in our camping and, even, our biking options, I had to open up to being more spontaneous in the moment. I believe Serge lives more this way than I, so it was helpful that he was my travel companion. 

Although, Serge and I always manage to have good times together, I had no idea how we would do traveling nonstop together over 4 days. What I learned was that we are not so different. We both have laid back relaxed personalities which can be good for not allowing difficulties alter our vision, but bad when we need to make immediate decisions. Nevertheless, I think it was a good test for both of us to be part of the decision making. He and I ate lots of cheese, bread, pasta and chocolate while we drank plenty of tea and, I admit, the welcomed Vana Tallinn and Whisky. We both spent our nights with our heads tucked securely inside our sleeping bags as the winds swept all around us. We laughed at the simplest of things, taught each other a few repeatable and not so repeated French and English words and, I feel, got a better appreciation of who the other person was. I think our friendship will continue into the future and will we have many more journeys like and unlike this. I look forward to them. 

Thanks for a wonderful adventure, Serge!

No comments:

Post a Comment